Sunday 5 February 2017

St. Patricks Stone, Castleconnell (Again)



I recently posted on my facebook page about a stone near the River Shannon in Castleconnell that is known locally as where St. Patrick blessed Co. Clare from.
It is meant to show St. Patrick's footprints, the print of his staff and also the imprint of the last snake as they were banished into Co. Clare. I was actually prompted to visit this rock again by some folklore I found in the Schools Manuscripts about it and another stone. I used to visit it often in my youth.

What was even more interesting was another stone near Hermitage in which the following folklore was recorded:

"There is another stone that St. Patrick killed a snake on and the mark of the snake is on the stone. This stone is in Hermitage in a field near the railway. Another rock which is called St. Patricks Rock is in the lands of Hermitage. It weighs one ton and on it are marks of horse hooves, a dogs front legs and the impression of St. Patricks feet."
http://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4922094/4851853

I think that although recorded here as two different rocks, it actually is the same one (and separate from the one near the river bank).
This rock is actually recorded as a megalithic structure in the SMR. I visited it years ago and had wondered about the markings on it, the footprint on it was very evident but between debris and foliage from the tree beside it, it was difficult to make out anything else. It is recorded on the old 1840's OS maps by the name "Cloghroenapeastia", I think that translates as the "red stone of the serpent".
I visited again last Summer and noted what looked like cup-marks (to me) along with lots of natural markings.
I had to wait until a few weeks ago for the foliage to die back and for me to get a chance to visit again when the sun was low. A low sun casts shadows and helps illuminate any hard to make out carvings.

These are the photos from that visit.

Close up of the natural markings. 
From the opposite view - you can make out the footprint on the stone in the
front centre. 
Close-up of the footprint.
Looking down on the markngs from above - although many look natural,
some to me look like the could be artificial.

Another from above showing some more of the markings.


I showed them to a rock art expert who is a friend and he concluded that the markings are unfortunately more than likely natural (from photos only).
Personally the cup-marks that I thought where there look as good as ones I've seen on other confirmed sites but I guess with the amount of natural markings on it, this does go against them being artificial.

Photo of the markings by the river bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment