Bendubh - Cloncannon

 


High above Moneygal; is Bendubh mountain and near the summit is a Cairn. 

It is described as Dermot & Grania’s Bed in the 25” OS Maps from the early 1900s.

 


On archaeology.ie it is detailed as follows:

“Situated on top of a mountain with extensive views. A sunken area (diam. 2.5m; D 0.8m) enclosed by a low cairn of flat slabs some of which have names inscribed on their surface (overall diam. 5.2m; H 0.4m). This could be a small cairn of prehistoric date or a nineteenth-century cairn associated with a local folk tradition. Not depicted on 1st ed. (1840) OS 6-inch map.”



I do recall references to it in the Schools Manuscripts but I can’t find them to hand. Once I stumble across them again I will update the post here.

It would be interesting to see who the names inscribed record? 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hag Stones, are they an example of authentic Irish folklore or a neo-pagan import?

The Origins of the surname Ryan

A Bronze Age Wooden Idol in the Bog of Cullen, County Tipperary