Thursday 3 October 2024

Callanish 2006 - Major Lunar Standstill

 



I visited Callanish back in 2006. The moon had reached a limit in its 18.6 year lunar cycle at which it is said that it skims along between the main stones here and into the belly of a mountain known as "Sleeping Beauty" which is said to resemble a recumbent woman in folklore. 

I only started thinking about it again lately because the cycle has gone pretty much full circle now and it is back to that time in the lunar cycle again. Back in 2006 I never could imagine where I'd be when the next cycle was to happen. I'm glad I went then as I'd never be able to do it now with life's responsibilities. 


The moon skimming the background landscape. 

I met Margaret Curtis while there briefly, she was one of the originators of the theory involving Callanish, Sleeping Beauty & the lunar standstill, read more about her here. She has sadly passed away since.

The stone circle itself is awe inspiring and the whole journey had the feeling of a pilgrimage involving planes, ferries, hitching lifts and buses. I can't recommend the Scottish Isles enough, the people were so friendly and hospitable and scenery so ruggedly beautiful.  On the evening in question there was an eclectic bunch of people there, I remember as the moon skimmed across the landscape and it got dark, young people from a local choir sung hymns, maybe to counter act the very pagan vibes in the air.    

Also more from Julian Cope's The Modern Antiquarian on youtube here (From about 17mins on) 


No comments:

Post a Comment