Friday 4 October 2024

Recently rediscovered megalithic stone pair in Tipperary


When people say everything that has been discovered, has already been discovered, this stone pair is a case in point that it most certainly hasn't. 

This standing stone pair isn't hidden up in some remote valley but by the side of a road, just inside the ditch. It is however in an upland area and would have been relatively remote over the years.

I was chatting to local man, Ger Hickey, about trying to find a stone with rock-art in the Arra Mountain area. We thought we were on the trail of it but it ran cold unfortunately for the time being. 

In passing he mentioned these stones and of course like a lot of unrecorded stuff, most people just presume that it is "known" about. 

I was able to help record them with the National Monuments Service. The map viewer on archaeology.ie isn't updating currently and I don't know when this will be fixed but they are now officially recorded I'm assured by the archaeologist that I reported them to. 

I recently got some old photos from a relative of local historian Mikie Joy and within them were old photos of the pair. Mikie knew about these stones well over 30 years ago but didn't know who to report them to or maybe did but was just ignored. If I hadn't know about them through Ger, I'd be scratching my head trying to figure out where the stones in the photos were! 



So Tipperary has another stone pair and they are aligned in a roughly north-east - south-west direction. I didn't measure their height but they are both in the 1m to 1.2m high range tall. 

I particularly like the one with the unusual hooked shape top. 

As always, they are on private land and permission is required to access the land. 

No comments:

Post a Comment